Being new to Paganism, I have found that I have become fascinated with the Sabbats. My favorite one has to be the Fire and Fertility festival of Beltane. Since I was outside today writing in my book of shadows, I came across the history, and also ways to celebrate this festival. Since it is coming up here soon, I figured I would give everyone the history and ways to celebrate it.
Beltane is a fire and fertility festival that lands on April 30th and May 1st. Since the ancient Celts had their days from sundown to sundown, the festival falls on both days. There are several deities that are related to the festival, including the May Queen, Stag Lord, and the Green Man.
Beltane was originally started to welcome summer; the word Beltane comes from the Welsh words’ tan (fire) and Bel (a Welsh sky god) combined it means fire in the sky. Traditionally, two babies were chosen, both male and female and were trained to be the Stag Lord and May Queen.
Their time came at fourteen when the young boy in his role as Stag Lord ran with the deer. At some point, the great stag, or the most dominant buck would sense the young boy, and it was up to him to over come the buck. Coming back unharmed he would then mate with the May Queen in a symbolic consummation of the marriage of the Goddess and God.
Though this was a big tradition, it was not the only one. There was dancing around the Maypole in a clockwise motion, the direction of the sun’s journey across the earth. While weaving flowers and vines around its surface. The pole stayed in place all year, until it was used next year in the Beltane fires.
The fire burned throughout the festival as a symbol of the sun’s reign in the sky. Livestock was driven between two bonfires, to ward of sickness the coming year. In the same respects, the ill would walk between in hopes of getting better. Now days it for couples to jump over the fires, to bring both luck and fertility.
Ways you can do ritual on this day are by.
- Doing ritual outdoors
- Use a dark-green altar cloth
- Decorate with foliage and flowers
- arrange green candles around altar and surround with floral.
- Burn a Beltane Incense by using any herbs that remind you of summer.
Beltane is a time to usher in summer so spend the day outside and feel the warm rays of the sun on your neck. Light a candle at sundown on the 29th and let it burn until the 1st to welcome the Sun God.
Anything you that involves the element fire will have a special meaning. So enjoy my favorite holiday and Bright Blessings!
Tags: #beltane #ritual #pagan #paganism #wicca #witch #witchcraft #Stag #Goddess #God #Beltane
Posted on Saturday the 14th of April 2012 at 10:51 PM
- ill-be-the-bones-they-want likes this
- reeniebeenie320 likes this
- loveandaquestion reblogged this from voiceofnature
- loveandaquestion likes this
- alonelydaydreamer reblogged this from thepassionflower
- lirnael likes this
- thepassionflower reblogged this from divino-luar
- at-the-entmoot likes this
- divino-luar reblogged this from voiceofnature
- vidarrphill likes this
- thirdeyesightings reblogged this from voiceofnature
- thirdeyesightings likes this
- themindscapeofaneccentric likes this
- voiceofnature reblogged this from embracingthegoddessforever and added:
- voiceofnature likes this
- luckylittlerabbit likes this
- aqua-ukulele reblogged this from thelivingwiccan
- xxfoxiix reblogged this from ladyeon
- lovelyseraph reblogged this from cursedbydemeter
- cursedbydemeter reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- ladyeon reblogged this from silverwitch
- sasstielwinchester reblogged this from onetwistedpixie
- onetwistedpixie reblogged this from magickstrange
- mrsbeefheart reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- sarahnichole11 reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- alexanderjosephkulick likes this
- thelonelywitch reblogged this from rosesandmoonbeams
- thetreesareenergy likes this
- oldtobegin likes this
- lumpy97 reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- fivedee reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch and added:
- fivedee likes this
- seduction-and-disappointment reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch and added:
- rockmantic likes this
- nyxauroralearie likes this
- stramoniam reblogged this from 13thmoon
- glitchy-witch likes this
- edumad-hatter reblogged this from the-mad-hatters-daughter
- edumad-hatter likes this
- one-thousand-thoughts likes this
- mllexspookiness reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- mllexspookiness likes this
- everlazuri likes this
- guardian87 likes this
- theatticofmymind reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- lugnasad reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- ohgahd likes this
- t-o-x-i-e reblogged this from fuckyeahitchywitch
- t-o-x-i-e likes this